Thursday, January 2, 2020

How to Find Homestead Records

Today I got lucky - accidentally - tracing a distant relative and found a link to his homestead claim near Buffalo, Wyoming - the very same place I workamped two years ago.  It never occurred to me to search for relatives in Buffalo, although I knew I have some living near Sheridan.

Website address:
 https://glorecords.blm.gov/search/default.aspx#searchTabIndex=0&searchByTypeIndex=0

This goverment site is easy to use - just type in the name - and if you know the state that is a plus.


The results:


Another hint. When you get the file you are searching for, hit the tiny "map" button on the left.  The property will then be highlighted in orange on the map.
And the map example.  


In this case, the exact property isn't shown.  However, since it was in Section 35, that would be the next to the last section on the bottom right.  This property was right on the county line with Rooks County.  My grandmother's family (Hess) lived on the other side of the county line.  Gee, wonder how they met?

The patent tab loads a copy of the official patent document.  This can be ordered for $2.00, by snail mail.  

So I guess I'll be busy today looking for more homesteading records.  





No comments:

Post a Comment